Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Work is invading

So last night I had a dream that was so realistic, I actually thought I was awake.  

It started out I’m coming to work.  I walk in the door but there’s no one at the front desk.  Instead there are about 50 underclassmen all waiting for me to open the Reading Room so they can do research.  I’m trying to navigate my way to the stairs but they keep crowding around me, wanting to know when they can come up.  “Give me 5 minutes, ok?!”  I finally push my way through, drop off my lunch in the basement, then make it upstairs knowing I have about 3 more minutes before they come rushing me.  I go to turn on the lights but nothing happens.  The building is in complete darkness.  Both 207 and 208 doors are wide open.  “Surely Lyndsey wouldn’t have left them open last night…”  I go to close them before calling about the lights when Physical Plant comes out of 208.  “We’re trying to fix the lights.”  “Um… in there?  I don’t think so”  Exhaustedly I figure I’ll just open up all the blinds in the RR and hopefully that will provide enough light for everyone to work by.  My 5 minutes are up and I hear the horde of students coming up the elevator and both staircases.  I sit at the desk waiting, praying no one tramples me.  All 50 students crowd around the desk yelling their requests.  I stand on the desk to announce that I can only handle, at most, 5 people at the desk otherwise I’ll have a breakdown and no one will get their books.  They grudgingly oblige.  I finally manage to make it through all 50 requests so I call for backup while I pull.  Only now I’m all alone in the building.  No one picks up their phone.  And since I don’t have the security camera software anymore, I can’t tell if anyone is at the front desk.

Thankfully at this point my alarm goes off.  GOOD GRIEF

No comments:

Post a Comment